Thursday, January 12, 2006

more christmas notebook

This shows on the left a page Superboy did on the Miraculous staircase of Loretto Chapel, which some claim was built by St. Joseph himself. On the right is the Wild Christmas Reindeer page. It has a pocket made from a Jan Brett graphic containing an accordian book with facts on reindeer as well as a cut-out of a reindeer with the scientific name written on the back. Here you can see the accordian book partway unfolded (it has about 8-10 pages) and the reindeer cut-out. Although we read alot about reindeer form several books, the reindeer facts shown here were just printed up from the internet and glued onto the book.
The Polar Bear study was one of our favorites. We read Who's That Knocking on Christmas Eve?, observed Polar bears from a webcam and researched and experimented. On the left are some photos of and Superboy's science report on the experiment he did on insulating properties of blubber. He included a purpose, methods, results and discussion in his lab report. On the right is the front of a pretty Christmas card we received with an appropriate picture, and underneath is Superboy's Polar Bear poem.
Here is the flap opened up to show Superboy's poem inside. He used the facts he learned about Polar bears to write the poem imitating the format from a children's book, Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do You see? by Eric Carle? I think. Anyway, his was Polar Bear, Polar Bear. He typed it up and after much deliberation chose the perfect font himself.

I'm not sure if you can read the text from the photo, but I was quite proud of his thoughtful wording in the poem. So here is the text again...

Polar Bear, Polar Bear

Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do you see?
I see a seal popping up to meet me
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do you hear?
I hear a thundering herd of reindeer
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do you smell?
I smell my dinner, but where I can’t tell
Polar bear Polar Bear, what do you taste?
I taste a walrus that won’t go to waste
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do you feel?
I feel the snow crunching under my heel
Polar Bear, Polar Bear what do you love?
I love the colorful lights up above
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What do you fear?
I fear an Eskimo with a sharp spear
Polar Bear, Polar Bear, what do you know?
I know the ocean and all about snow

More pics next time.

2 comments:

barbara said...

Theresa,

This book is absolutely amazing and I especially loved Superboy's poem! You two were so creative. It must have been alot of fun. Thanks so much for sharing.

Theresa said...

Thanks for the compliments, ladies.
The cover is really pretty simple, which is why I didn't add the picture here. It is just a legal size file folder cut down a bit and then covered with Christmas wrapping paper. It is all tied together with a pretty ribbon from a Godiva chocolate box.
We also did pages on St. Nicholas around the world, snowflakes, and St. Nicholas symbols. It really was so much fun.